New Straits Times, Monday, April 28, 2008
'Unsafe camps will be closed'
GUA MUSANG: The National Service Training Department has warned that it would close any of the National Service (NS) camps found to be unsafe for trainees as had been done to the Kubena Camp in Sipitang, Sabah on Wednesday.
Its director-general, Datuk Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil, said the closing of the Kubena Camp was because of a danger of landslides; the 343 trainees there have been moved to other camps in Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia.
He said the camp was ordered to close temporarily to give time to its management to prevent the landslides before the third batch of trainees were taken in.
"We will make inspections and after that, if safety is still unsatisfactory, we will maintain the closure," Abdul Hadi said while visiting NS trainees at the Etnobotani Camp here yesterday.
According to Abdul Hadi, 270 trainees from Sabah and Sarawak and 73 from Peninsular Malaysia were enrolled at the Kubena camp.
"We used a Royal Malaysian Air Force C130 aircraft to transport the 73 back. They were placed in three camps in Selangor." - Bernama