Sunday, November 25, 2007

A GOOD COMMAND OF ENGLISH (Part II)



In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Allah SWT berfirman di dalam Al-quran Surah Al-Baqarah ayat 155 yang bermaksud "Sungguh, Kami akan menguji kamu dengan sesuatu daripada ketakutan, dan kelaparan, dan kekurangan harta, dan jiwa, dan buah-buahan; dan berilah berita gembira kepada orang-orang yang sabar."



What went wrong (www)?

Let me begin with this simple question. What actually went very wrong with our education systems resulting in poor command of English language amongst the school leavers and university graduates? To answer the question I need to analyse my very own circle of influence, to find out if there are any attributes that are extremely different in comparison to our children, brothers and sisters circle of influence. I can only speak for myself who were fortunate enough to enjoy two governments i.e. British Rule and of course the Federation of Malaysia AND two examination systems (Form 5 Level) i.e. Senior Cambridge (SC) and Malaysian Certificate of Education (MCE).

This case study is based on my life story which will make easier for me to narrate the experience rather than to have a generic scenario which will posed several constraints for me to write freely. The other reason why I choose my life story as a basis of the analysis is simply because my case is “the worst case scenario” by any standards.

My Early Education Circle of Influence – Depicted below are the main headings that I would based my analysis of “What Went Wrong (www)?” with our education system resulting in poor command of English language amongst our school leavers and university graduates. Kadayan school leavers and university graduates are no exception.

1. My family background
2. Our standard of Living
3. Pre-school education
4. Physical condition of my primary school
5. Medium of instruction
6. Teaching methodologies
7. Subjects taught
8. Text books
9. Resource centre (library)
10. Pupils
11. Teachers
12. Co-curriculum
13. School discipline and punishments
14. Tests & examinations
15. Other school facilities
16. Exposure to outside world (radio and newspapers)
17. Others

…………to be continued

No comments: